A MAN FLOGGED FOR STEALING 

There was a mild drama on Thursday as a magistrate’s court sitting in Ibadan ordered that a defendant, Segun Ogunmola, be caned in court for stealing.
Ogunmola was arraigned on one count of stealing N1,040 belonging to a motorist.
Though Ogunmola had returned the money to the owner, Chief Magistrate Adams Adesina of Mapo Magistrate’s Court insisted that he should be caned publicly to serve as deterrent others.
The accused was caned in the court by a policeman.
Ogunmola, a bus conductor, who admitted to stealing the money, said he committed the crime due to poverty.
He said, “My father died since I was a toddler and I don’t know my mother’s whereabouts. I have no option than to fend for myself.
“I have returned the money to the owner.”
Adesina, in his ruling, said the case was earlier adjourned due to absence of the prosecutor.
He said, “The precious time of court cannot be wasted.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Journey through the books of the Bible